photo: Keith Williamson
We already know some of the best shopping deals are found online – but did you know some days are better than others to find the steepest discounts?
ShopItToMe.com, which scours sales at more than 100 online retailers, ran a survey showing what days of the week certain categories of items carry the biggest discounts. Their data was compiled between June 2009 and June 2010 and analyzed over 1 million sale items on the web. From sunglasses to bathing suits to handbags and menswear, they got the inside scoop.
Read this through, click print and keep the list stored by your computer as a helpful reminder next time you want to shop on the Web.
* Mondays: Best for buying men’s and women’s dress pants. The average sale is about 48% off.
* Mondays: Also great for purchasing sunglasses. The average discount is 55%.
* Tuesdays: Best for buying men’s apparel. The average discount is 42%.
* Wednesdays: Find lowest prices on shoes. The average discount is 38%.
* Wednesdays: Also find best deals on kids’ clothing. The average discount is around 40%.
* Thursdays: Best for buying women’s handbags. The average discount is 36%.
* Fridays: Biggest sales on accessories like jewelry, belts and scarves. The average discount is 42%.
* Saturdays: Best sales on intimates (37% off) and jackets/outerwear (51% off).
* Sundays: Buy your swimsuits for an average 52% off!
Some other online shopping tips …
Search for More Discounts
Dozens of sites like RetailMeNot and Bargainist collect promotional codes for discounts on Web purchases. To find them on your own, try Googling the name of the shopping site with the words “coupon code” or “promotion code.”
Avoid Shipping and Return Costs
Many retailers offer free shipping promotions from time to time or have thresholds at which they’ll ship for free. But many online shops, such as Endless, RevolveClothing, Shopbop, and Piperlime, always offer free shipping.
Many retailers are announcing special deals to their Twitter and Facebook followers. Be sure to follow the retailers you frequent to find out as soon as a deal is announced.
Farnoosh Torabi is a personal finance author, expert, and television host. She recently wrapped SoapNet’s new series, Bank of Mom and Dad, coaching young women struggling with debt. Her first book, You’re So Money: Live Rich Even When You’re Not, helps young adults earn financial independence.